FCEvPFC Match Recap: 10-Man Eddies Earn a Draw at Home

FC Edmonton and Pacific FC shared the points after a 0-0 scoreline in Edmonton’s Canadian Premier League (CPL) home opener at Clarke Stadium.

Head Coach Jeff Paulus named an unchanged starting lineup, which beat Valour FC 2-1 in Edmonton’s first match of the season. However, they were quickly forced to play with 10-players after Philippe Lincourt-Joseph was sent off at the half-hour mark.

Both teams were pretty cautious in the opening 15-minutes of the match. The first real attempt on target came from a long throw-in, which found Amer Didic, who generated enough power to test the Pacific FC goalkeeper.

The Eddies were forced to play with 10-men on the half-hour mark after David Gantar showed a straight red card to Edmonton. Lincourt-Joseph went in for a 50-50 challenge, but Gantar issued the midfielder a red-card for dangerous play.

Things continued to get heated as the game progress. Yong-Chan Son made a strong run down the left-wing before getting body-checked by Legault, who received a yellow card for his challenge.

Allan Zebie was forced off before the half-time break with an injury. The Edmonton left-back was replaced by his little brother Bruno Zebie.

The Eddies tried to get the opening goal as the second half resumed and nearly did so on 50 minutes. Son played a ball in-behind the Pacific FC defense and Esua got on the end of the pass. Esua fired a half-volley that went just wide of Villages’ near-post.

Oumar Diouck replaced Randy Edwini-Bonsu on the hour mark and the substitute nearly made an instant impact. After receiving the ball down the right-wing, Diouck played an early-cross towards the opposite wing for Son. The South-Korean took a touch before firing on goal, but his shot was crucially blocked by the Pacific defense.

Pacific caught the eddies on the counter-attack. With a three-on-two situation, they worked the ball to the left wing for Campbell. The forward took a touch before firing a shot to the far post, but his effort dragged wide.

The visiting side got a free-kick from a dangerous position on the 70-minute mark. A left-footed shot deflected off the wall, which forced James to scramble across the box to make a huge save to keep the scoreline at 0-0.

The final 20 minutes saw Jeff Paulus’ team defend well as a unit. Pacific FC attempted to unlock the Eddies back-line, but they were unable too. The 0-0 scoreline would hold through 90 minutes of play.